Need to register for a free VetFolio account to access this course? Click here!
This course is an overview of microchipping and scanning of companion animals. In this course, you will learn the rationale for microchipping, equipment used, how scanners work, microchip standards, how to implement microchipping in your facility, how to scan animals properly, the implantation procedure, paperwork, databases and registration, and the owner-animal reunification process.
This course is intended for all staff members of veterinary hospitals, animal shelters and animal control facilities including veterinarians, hospital administrators and practice managers, veterinary technicians, veterinary assistants, front office staff, and kennel staff. It is also appropriate for students in veterinary and veterinary technician programs.
At the conclusion of this course, you will be prepared to:
- Discuss the benefits of microchipping with clients
- Describe the technology behind microchips and scanners
- Understand the importance of registering unique pet ID codes to recovery databases
- Explain the microchipping procedure
- Perform the scanning procedure to locate a microchip
- Understand the process of reuniting the lost pet with its rightful owners
Brought to you by AAHA and Merck Animal Health.