These podcasts, featuring Susan E. Little, DVM, PhD, DACVM-Parasit., offer listeners an overview of ticks, tick-borne disease, control and prevention. For more information on each episode, please see the descriptions listed below the podcast player.
Episode 1 - Emerging Tick-Borne Disease Part 1 - More ticks, more places
This session describes some of the major factors that have conspired to result in increased tick populations and spread of ticks to new areas in many different regions of North America, putting more people and pets at risk. After listening to this episode, you will:
- Recognize the main habitats that support different tick species
- Understand general trends seen in habitat change that have led to increased numbers of ticks and spread of ticks to new areas
- Review examples of tick-borne disease emergence associated with these increased tick populations
Episode 2 - Emerging Tick-Borne Diseases Part 2, New disease agents mean even greater risk
In recent decades, new tick-borne disease agents have been identified that infect animals and people. This session describes a few of the more recently discovered agents that create health risks for people and pets in North America. After listening to this episode, you will:
- Understand the diversity of disease agents ticks may transmit to animals and people
- Become familiar with some of the major reasons new tick-borne disease agents emerge
- Review treatment strategies for suspected cases of tick-borne infections
Episode 3 - Topical Tick Control or Oral Tick Control: What are the differences you need to know?
More tick control options than ever before are available to protect pets from ticks. In this podcast we’ll review some of key differences between topical and oral tick control products. After listening to this episode, you will:
- Understand the need for routine, year-round tick control for dogs and cats.
- Identify the key features of topical and oral tick control strategies
- Be familiar with expected performance characteristics of acaricides for pets with different lifestyles.
Episode 4 - Keeping up with the ticks - How the CAPC maps can help you protect your patients
This session explains some of the resources available to help you inform your clients about the risk of tick-borne diseases in your practice area. This episode will help you:
- Review the dynamic nature of ticks and tick-borne infections that has caused an increased risk to our patients and necessitated changes in practice protocols
- Explain the resources available to learn about the risk of tick-borne infections in your geographic area in real time
- Consider different strategies used to educate clients about the risk ticks pose and then motivate them to take action to protect themselves and their pets
Created and produced by VetFolio with educational funding provided by Elanco.