The National Rabies Awareness Initiative is a novel, state-by-state information resource on rabies and rabies immunization specifically developed for veterinarians practicing in the United States. The objective of this course is to introduce veterinarians to several must-know rabies issues that directly impact decisions regarding patient care and management, including:
- When is a patient considered (in law) to be currently vaccinated?
- When are they not currently vaccinated?
- What actions are required when a dog/cat bites a person who is currently vaccinated?
- What actions are required when a dog/cat bites a person who is not currently vaccinated?
- What action is required by the veterinarian if presented with a non-vaccinated dog/cat that has been exposed to known or suspect rabid animal?
- Is a Rabies antibody titer (Kansas State University) a valid index of protective immunity?
- Are you allowed to ‘exempt’ rabies vaccination requirement for a patient on the grounds of health considerations?